Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Underage drivers










Today we had zero friends over, which means I let the house get really messy and just enjoyed my sweet munchkins. Our fridge was down to condiments and jalapenos so we went to the dirt cheap mexican joint around the corner and ate egg tacos washed down with horchata and caught up on our looney tunes. Next I dragged them to the market to grab some essentials (do watermelons count as essential? possibly, considering Austin just broke the record for most consecutive days over 100 degrees. We win?) and Ruby and Jesse charmed passersby with their dual cart driving skills and pinchable cheeks.

Back home for some naps Ha! not mommy, and certainly not Ruby. Back home so Jesse could sleep off my breakfast that he stole after finishing his own. Jesse "whipped us up some lunch" and later we actually attended a sort of short story release party downtown for my writer friend Ben Reed (former manager of Club DeVille) and got to hang with his wife Carolyn (teaches with Evan at the community college) and Henry (Jesse's future bandmate). Ruby knocked over a sculpture of course, and even though it was a very ugly sculpture made from a broom handle, I was slightly mortified. She made a friend and they commenced running in circles and rifling the contents of anything they were tall enough to reach. We escaped without having to buy anything except the one thing I planned to buy, the short story. Phew. Then we might've eaten eggs AGAIN and shared most of a pint of caramel cone Haagen Dazs. What.

p.s. I will try not to talk about bathroom incidents on the internet but Ruby had a potty training breakthrough and I have never been so happy while kneeling next to a toilet!

No comments: