Monday, November 7, 2011

Big Freedia

This weekend Transmission Entertainment put on the 6th annual FunFunFunFest, which is affiliated with the place that I work, Club DeVille. What does this mean for me? Everyone I know is partying with Slayer and Ryan Gosling and I am again slinging lonestars to the late night survivors of the dust laden festival grounds.

I did manage to have a little fun, gather a bit of foldin' money, and also to see some interesting/awesome bands right on our own patio. I was going to talk about all the music I saw on one post, but it seems Big Freedia deserves his-her own special mention.



This entertainment phenomenon was next door at the Mohawk on Friday night and when I wandered over during a lull at work I had no idea what I was getting into. Bounce music is the new kind of dance party sound, coming exclusively out of New Orleans and well, it's all about butts. Everywhere. In your face, shaking around upside-down butts.

That's right ladies, it's not just for strippers anymore, now any young lady (or man) may shake their junk in the name of cutting edge music. I took my own video of the show but it was too large for this measly blog to handle, so I had to carefully sift through other videos online and find the ones that won't make my mother-in-law blush. It wasn't easy.

Being married to a virtuoso like Evan makes my internal bar for what classifies as "music" pretty high, and these songs had no melody, no instruments, no singing, and about 3 words on average. It was a dj in back throwing out beats, then Freedia the Queen Diva hollering into a mic and ten dancing girls in their underwear.

That being said, the energy of the crowd was amazing and it was a huge glorious party! People were crowd surfing, echoing all the choruses, and everyone EVERYONE was dancing. I was butt slammed by happy dancers constantly and we were body to body with strangers and we loved it. It seems raunchy when you think about someone slapping their cheeks together in the air and yet, in the moment it is somehow appropriate. (they offer classes! really.)

I was not intoxicated nor inclined to take my pants off, but I let the crowd carry me along with it's rhythm and I recommend anyone do the same, at least once.

1 comment:

Irene said...

can't help but shake my bootay to freedia, she's my girl.