Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sculptures and Costumes


 Before I was a mom my creative endeavours weren't any stronger, just more spontaneous and random. Here is a six foot woman lamp that I originally meant to be a jewelry display sculpture and it got away from me and turned into an alien monstrosity with glass goat's eyes (purchased from a taxidermist of course) a motorcycle gas tank torso and fish tail made from a rake. Oh I just remembered that I rigged another bulb to shine out through the gas cap hole as her "heart". I called it...Figure 2. It scared off intruders from my home for a few years along with its skeletal mate Figure 1 but eventually was banished to the shed for baby proofing purposes. She finally was mistakenly thrown out by our landlord and I hope is gracing the breakfast nook of some strange college dorm and haunting their dreams.


 This? Well, it's just a baboon. A LONG NECKED BLOOD SUCKING BABOON. Don't give me power tools or I make awkward stuff and hang it from the ceiling.


Also before I was a mommy I had nobody to dress up in funny clothes but myself. Here I am as a japanimation cartoon character, and I wish you could see my giant boots and one-legged pants. Lots of water guns painted black, which I think may be illegal. The occasion? Sunday kickball. Sorry about the cleavage Mam.


This is where I make a joke about how this isn't a costume, that I look this way every morning and "what unibrow?" but that's too predictable. It's Frieda Kahlo, guys. This occasion was actually Halloween, a holiday where many many people wear costumes, not just me. I saw another Frieda at the party we went to and was sorely tempted to battle her. Blonde Frieda? Are you daft!

Jesse still wears this flowered headband by the way.

1 comment:

AlisonSoFar said...

Dude. I am wearing a Frida inspired outfit today (sans unibrow). Although yours is a far cooler and vastly more creative one, our wavelengths must cross paths somewhere. You make a great Frida and bold ambitious wild art. Thanks for sharing it.