Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fleeting Beauty and a Song








 Here's the song that Ruby and I have been singing at the top of our lungs all day.


Look! My old friend Joan from junior high/high school is featured on apartment therapy in her super stylish art nook in Portland, Oregon. Too bad we were both so shy back then because now we're both artists and have a penchant for musicians and probably missed out on a bunch of awesome 1990s slumber parties together.


Besides Maurice Sendak, we seem to be on a role for losing our legends. Last week Adam Yauch a.k.a. MCA of the Beastie Boys died a young 47 of cancer, leaving a little girl, wife and hordes of brokenhearted fans. More of my youth fleeing in the wind like so many loose feathers. I never could afford concert tickets but a couple of years ago they played across the street from where I work and Heidi and I sat on the grass and had a private show outside. Nothing beats Paul's Boutique for driving to the beach in a VW bus and throwing oranges off bridges. He will be sorely missed.


Levon Helm. More cancer, but less of a tragedy since he was a ripe 71. A member of the rare breed of singing drummers and the infamous rock band "The Band" he will live to immortality in my house performing The Last Waltz every Thanksgiving on repeat.

Sheesh. I usually try to only highlight joyful and inspirational things on this blog but sometimes it's good to ruminate over just how fleeting life is and how the things you do and make can effect those around you. Cheer up! Listen to the Jellyman Kelly song, call your mom and tell her you love her.





2 comments:

Lela said...

Your friend Joan looks like a very blonde you!

Shayla said...

That's funny. I should tell her.