Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fried Avocado-Cheese on the Outside Tacos





With mango-cucumber-serrano pico relish! I am much more creative when I'm low on groceries you guys. I've had fried avocado tacos at a couple of places around town but was unimpressed. I think they were deep fried and just ended up as hot mush. I thought I'd try my hand at it and try to retain the integrity of the avocado. The cheese on the outside part I came up with on my own because I love cheese and am constantly abusing it.

What you'll need:
  • 2 fresh ripe avocados
  • 6 thick corn tortillas
  • 1 cup mild cheddar (grated)
  • 2 small mangos
  • 1/2 large cucumber
  • 3 serranos
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • the juice of 2 limes
  • your favorite spiced frying flour
  • white onion and cilantro if ya got it
Mango Pico:

First chop your cucumber, serranos, and mangos (and 1/2 small white onion, handful fresh cilantro-not pictured). Combine everything and squeeze your limes over the lot, stirring and putting in the fridge to marry juices. I've made something like this for fried fish tacos and it is so bright and spicy that it balances out the savory heavier things (like burnt cheese).

Toasted Cheese Tortillas:

 You MUST use a non-stick skillet for this or it won't work. Put a small handful of grated cheddar on a hot griddle and cover with a tortilla. Keep the flame high because you really want to almost burn it. When you see the oils seeping out around the edges and smell a toasty smell (approx 2 min) you can flip it and let the other side toast for a few seconds. The cheese should be a golden color and not stringy. Cover and set aside.





 Fried Avocados:

Cut your avocados in half lengthwise and remove the seed. Slice into 4 slices and carefully scoop out with a spoon. Drop into a bowl with your spiced frying flour and toss until evenly coated.

Use your trusty non-stick pan with just a drizzle of olive oil to brown the slices on both sides.

Ummm. Now you can eat it and smile alot. Make a taco and top with the cool relish. Wash it down with some frosty limeade.

I definitely think these avocados are superior to the ones I've had before, they kept their shape and and the flavor went well with the toasted cheese. Make sure you put the cheese on the outside to get the full delicious benefit! Garnish with campari tomatoes and a side of black beans and sour cream. Serves two hungry grown-ups, for kids maybe skip the serranos. However, my own "darling" kids won't touch any green thing, even if I swear it's actually a fruit or a  green chicken nugget.

love,
Mami