Monday, February 20, 2012

Pepper Party




Two recipes and a sweet smile for dessert.

I decided to make stuffed peppers for the first time for no better reason than they were on sale 3 for a dollar. I looked up a couple of recipes as a guide and then completely changed it. "Shayla is a very bright little girl but has trouble following instructions."
Whatever. My way is better.

I substituted turkey for ground beef, brown rice for white (don't do this, brown rice takes a decade to cook) and used SALSA in place of water. Turned out awesome.

Saute 1lb meat with olive oil until browned, I added fresh garlic and onion, salt, pepper, cumin, and Brother Bru Bru's.

Add two cups of rice and four cups green salsa to your meat mixture, cover and simmer until rice is tender.

Green salsa: blend 1large can green tomatoes (just a splash of the liquid) with 1 raw jalepeno and a handful of fresh cilantro.

Spoon your green meaty rice into bell pepper halves (that have been de-seeded and parboiled for 5 minutes to soften them) top them with slices of muenster and bake in a glass baking dish on 350 until cheese is toasted and bubbly.

Serve with beans and sour cream as little pockets of happiness. Makes 12 halves.





Jalapeno tilapia

Tilapia has a lovely mild and clean flavor that goes great with everything. I like fake asian.

Boil pad thai style flat rice noodles in salted water until tender, drain and rinse with cool water.

I make my own sauce by mixing soy sauce, fish sauce, sriracha hot chili sauce and yes, peanut butter!

Stir-fry whatever veggies you can find hiding in your crisper with coconut oil. (I used mushrooms, onions and carrots) When your veggies are almost done, add the sauce to the pan and then the tilapia filets. Pan sear the fish about 3 minutes on each side. I added the jalapenos (gutted) last, because I love 'em crunchy.

Drizzle your cooked noodles with fish sauce and sesame oil then top with sloppy delicious fish and stuff. Squeeze lemon juice over the lot and freckle with toasted sesame seeds.

Feed to starving husband and his piano student and make them late for lessons.

No comments: