Monday, December 5, 2011

Driskill Hotel: a brunch





The Driskill is the most sumptuous hotel in Texas. Built in 1886 it is resplendent with lore, celebs, chandeliers, and dolla dolla bills ya'll. I stayed here once during my globetrotting Shayla days but needless to say the record label footed el cheque and I'll probably never do it again.

I never know how to act in places like this. I am forever under dressed, so I just try to look like maybe I'm a famous and eccentric poet, hold my head high, and hope that no one notices that my tshirt reads "heartless bastards".

However, we ended up there for brunch and it was surprisingly affordable ($13), of course delicious (purple homefries!), and the wait staff seemed genuinely to like children and not to scorn us in any way. (this is rare) I would definitely recommend the Driskill brunch for when your parents are in town or if you fell asleep on 6th street the night before and managed to wake up with some dignity intact and 13 bucks plus tip still in your wallet.

I've been doing a lot a brunch reviews, but what we really eat at least three times a week are home-cooked gringa tacos: (I do it sober, with eggs, but same basic principle)


1 comment:

Shayla said...

"Watch out for swamp back."
love her.