Sunday, June 24, 2012

Silviano's Peanut Salsa with serrano

Here is another wonderful recipe to spice up your face! It was invented by my friend Silviano, who is an amazing chef and also the owner of The Austin Diner.

I actually was an apron wearing, country gravy slingin' sassy young waitress at this very diner a decade ago and met many of my best Austin pals bonding over spilled syrup and dancing past one another on its checkered floors, our arms laden with stacks of flapjacks and steaming coffee. I was "discovered" here by my employers at the rock club where I still work, and promptly lured away from its sun soaked yet ungodly early shifts to become the vampire that I am today. Jesse has spent all (2) of his birthday breakfasts here.

On to the recipe!
Peanuts in salsa you say? How absurd! Don't knock it 'til you try it, Duckie, I've yet to hear a negative review and I serve this to EVERYONE.


You will need:

  • 4 ripe tomatoes
  • 2-8 serranos (depending on the gringo level of your tongue)
  • half an onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • olive oil
  • roasted peanuts (approx 2-3 cups)
  • sea salt
  • blender or food processor
Halve your produce and braise over medium heat (with a bit of olive oil) to mellow the flavor. Transfer your hot veggies to the blender. Blend until smooth, adding peanuts 1/2 cup at a time until you reach desired consistency. Salt to taste.

Enjoy chilled with tortilla chips, on tacos, eggs, stir fries, on ice cream, lap it out of your cupped hands. We served it hot over steak.







1 comment:

_bAs said...

The recipe is also quite nice with cilantro blended in :) Shayla relayed the recipe verbally to me once, and I messed it up in a good way.