Friday, June 1, 2012

Punk without the Brewster


Today is officially Jesse's 2nd birthday! Man do I love that butter-haired sweetmeat.

I just got home from working a hard core punk festival and it was so weird. Last night the place was crawling with 7 foot drag queens (my favorite quote of the night "Ya'll give it up for my niece, Travis") and tonight it was a joke for us barmaids because it was a STRAIGHT EDGE show. Meaning the place was packed with unwashed, tattered clothes wearing kids who don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. While I appreciate their clean living attitude, it was definitely a waste of my time to be standing behind my makeshift lemonade stand which didn't even offer bottled water.

Forgive my extremely mommy aspect, but I felt sorry for the punk movement tonight. I saw a pack of kids (and some adults way too old for it) who were slamming their bodies into one another and limping back to do it again, all without the aid of alcohol. They wore a strikingly similar "uniform" of black clothing and terrible haircuts and spikes and band tshirts, striving to be individuals but looking like clones of each other. I got the impression that they were starved for human contact and disillusioned with the government and society in general, and that they used this scene as an outlet for those frustrations but would probably do better to have a few babies to cuddle and go work on a grape plantation rather than the local Starbucks. I crave human contact too, I don't trust the government or want to conform to society's norms, but I deal with those feelings in a totally different way and I don't wake up with black eyes or steady hearing loss.

Hey punks! I believe all humans need a primal outlet to feel alive. The jocks have sports, the rockers have sex and fame, I have childbirth without the aid of drugs, maybe the punks should just man up, have some babies and shoot deer with arrows to feed said babies. This moshing is a waste of energy.

No comments: