Thursday, August 16, 2012

Steak Pie


That's right! Pie. With steak in it. And GRAVY. Sometimes I crave things that don't actually exist. I read the Robin Hood stories years ago and never forgot the slices of meat pie they used to eat, full of savory meat and dripping with gravy. I tried to look up a recipe and the only kind of meat pies I could find were chicken pot pie or simply a crust full of ground beef and onions. (blarg)

If it doesn't exist, just make it yourself! I used a pot pie recipe as a guide but then changed everything and added steak. Since it was my very first pie ever (I don't really bake) I cheated and used ready made roll-out pastry and it turned out divine. I will definitely be making this again. (not too often...heavy whipping cream directly to thigh danger) It is special enough to maybe become a new birthday tradition. "birthday boating and steak pie". I could definitely get behind that.



I haven't been blogging as much as usual which means I've been trying new recipes as a creative outlet and my house is a bit cleaner. I had a lovely quinoa salad at a friend's place made with black beans, avocado, lime, cilantro, olive oil and mangoes. When I made it at home I substituted peaches and coconut oil and added grilled salmon. DO THIS. You won't be sorry.



I also figured out that you can make gravy out of anything. I made chicken fried chicken with mashed potatoes and onion gravy the other day. I wish I had known that when I was a vegetarian. I also mimicked an asian chicken salad we had at a restaurant with chopped cabbage, sauteed kale, soy ginger sauce and those fun crunchy things. I love adding new things to my mental menu. Check out these beautiful little egg flowers!



happy feasting.
love,
Mami

No comments: